REDESIGNED PROGRAM !!!
2016-2017 Teacher Quality in Chemistry (TQC) Program at UMBC –
funded by MHEC for its ninth year!
Personalized Professional Development Program in Chemistry Education
The Teacher Quality in Chemistry (TQC) program has been redesigned to enhance participant success in the classroom and help teachers to become highly qualified in chemistry through face-to-face and online instruction at UMBC . There will be opportunities to support teacher participants living long distances from UMBC through distance learning accommodations, summer housing, and travel reimbursements.
The instructional trio for this year’s program represent higher education, industry, and Maryland’s public school system:
Aris Kalivretenos, Ph.D. – Butler Manufacturing LLC/Aurora Analytics, LLC
Mark Perks, Ph.D. – UMBC Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Fletcher Burchett, III – Baltimore County Public Schools
The program’s plan ensures a personalized professional development experience for participants to help them develop specific applications for course concepts and procedures. Practicum experiences have been designed to be easily repeated by participants in their classrooms and to reinforce teacher knowledge of chemistry topics.
To be eligible for the program, participants must teach in public or private high schools in the State of Maryland.
BENEFITS FOR TQC IX PARTICIPANTS:
- Hand-on instruction with lesson plans to repeat in the high school classroom
- Free course books, lab notebooks and manuals
- Free campus housing during the nine-day summer practicum to a limited number of participants
- Opportunity to apply for limited child-care reimbursements
TQC IX PARTICIPANTS MUST CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Up to $2,287.50 in attendance-based stipends
- Graduate credit in Chemistry – up to four credits with free tuition and application fees to all participants who satisfactorily complete the program
Due to MHEC policy, teacher participants cannot receive stipends and graduate credit.